Thursday, January 5, 2012

Don't Rain on My 2012 Parade

Ah, a new year.  Everyone feels fresh.  The air smells new. Optimism is abundant. 

But...some things never change. I had lunch with my parents last Monday and Big John (Dad) asked about my resolutions for the new year.  No big deal. This was expected.  I was even ready with an answer and just knew he beam and show his pride in me for being a focused and well-rounded individual.   

Except this is exactly how the conversation went: 

Big John: So, what are you resolutions for the new year? 

Single Gal: I am really going to work on my career in 2012.  I feel like there is more I can do at my current job. But I also want to make sure I am focusing on my networking and make sure my resume is up to par.  Maybe even get on Linked In. 

Big John: What about your love life? 





You know, because it would be the worst thing ever for me to remain single for yet another year.  Really?!  

It's gotten to the point where I can almost feel the pity coming off of them in waves every time I see them now.  If only I had spouted something off about the benefits of casual sex so I could make them equally as uncomfortable as I was.  But I didn't. Because I am lame {and still single in case anyone forgot}.  
He's probably going to be extra disappointed to hear that marriage isn't my ultimate goal in life {gasp!}.  But maybe I will save that for next Christmas while we are catching up over turkey and dressing.


Cheers to 2012 already starting with a sting bang!

~the single gal~

No comments:

Post a Comment