Thursday, April 14, 2011

She's got them apple bottom jeans...

Or are they diapers? I have to shout out probably my favorite blogger MODG for being the cause of my recent revolution. Revolution you say? Yes, a revolution. I suppose it's only fitting that it's Earth Month due to Earth Day on April 22nd. I have decided to move from disposable diapers to cloth diapers for #1. I did not take this decision lightly. I read a post MODG wrote about using cloth diapers on her little man and I started my own research. By research I mean scouring the internet about cloth diapers until my eyes hurt........I even had dreams about cloth diapers. Once that was done the next task was convincing the Turtle. Cloth diapers are a bit of an investment up front because you really need at least 12 so you can get through an entire day and that's also probably washing the load everyday. The Turtle didn't give me any problems and immediately said, "Ok. Let's do it." I told him I still wasn't sure and anyone who knows me knows I really can't pull the trigger easily on large purchases. 


Soooooo I researched more and more until Turtle said just get them. There you have it. I ordered 12 FuzziBunz and could not contain myself until they arrived at my house late yesterday. Supposedly Tori Spelling used these too and that means they have to be fantastic, right? You do have to sit down and size the elastic in the legs because these diapers are "one size" which means that you can use them from 7 lbs-30 lbs (essentially until you potty train your child). 


Did you know around 18 billion diapers are dumped in a landfill every year? That's just one year. You don't want to know how long it takes one to biodegrade. No, I don't expect everyone to cloth diaper their kids. Since I'm a Housewife now I have time to devote to this and most daycares probably don't support cloth diapering in their facilities. So in an effort to reduce my trash (and smelly diapers sitting in the hot southern sun while I wait on my trash pick up each week) I have chosen to go green cloth. Today starts the trials and tribulations of the cloth diaper challenge. What do you do with the poop you might ask? It goes where yours goes, in the toilet, where it should be. You can pick up this handy dandy sprayer to assist you with this task. Then you just toss the insert and the diaper into a wet pail and just dump and wash.


Yes, they are a little bulkier than a disposable diaper but so far I have not had any trouble with a onsie fitting over it. I did order the "gender neutral" 12 pack of colors which was not my first choice. But let me tell you how this would play out should I have ordered the "girl" colors package.....when we have #2 it would be a boy for sure. Now that I've ordered the neutral colors #2 will most definitely be a girl. How's that for gender prediction? 


If you need me I'll be packing up my things so I can move to California or Colorado. Where all good hippies belong. But don't worry......I'm not starting a compost pile in the backyard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment