Thursday, April 19, 2012

ER Date Nights and the Like

It's really all about two weeks of chaos. As the Single Gal informed you I had to vacate my house for over a week for the installation of some new hardwood floors and refinishing of the new and old floors. It felt like it took a month. They started the Wednesday before Easter. We moved in with my in-laws for the time period which didn't end up being so bad because they were out of town Thursday through Sunday of Easter Weekend.

Maybe I should just start with Good Friday. I guess I was just having a tough day. I hit the gym that morning and ran some errands, took care of #1 of course. By the time Turtle got home I was pretty tired but I had just found out I wasn't going to be able to get back into my house before I left for Charleston and needed more clothes, etc. So Turtle came home Friday night and we ran to the house and came back. We put the little monster to bed and as Turtle was cooking dinner on the island cook top I went to get into a bar stool which happened to be a little too close to the iron pedestal which holds up an additional granite bar for seating. I hit my knee really hard on the iron part and tried to tell Turtle I felt like I was going to pass out. Well, the next thing I knew I woke up on the floor. At first I thought I had just been really tired and fell asleep but then I remembered I was sitting in the chair. So I sat up and yelled for Turtle because he wasn't there when I came to (he had run to get the phone as he said I was not responding to him) and realized quickly my nose/face was bleeding everywhere. Great. He came back and made me lay down and called 911. Because when your parents and you have little people in bed you no longer have the ability to just go ahead and take yourself quickly. He also called the Single Gal to freak her out and ask her to get herself over to his in-laws to watch after #1. To make a long story short the paramedics deemed my vitals well enough to have Turtle take me to the ER. As a former auto claims adjuster an ambulance ride just equals a bill I don't want to pay. The ER wait was long because we stupidly went to the trauma center location near us. But finally the doctor was able to come back in and put some Dermabond glue on this nasty cut across the bridge of my nose. If I had thought enough for Turtle to take my picture I would post it but I forgot to ask. Ridiculous. My nose is not broken but was swollen and bruised for a few days.

Then I left the following Thursday with the Single Gal for bachelorette shenanigans. Unfortunately while we were at the in-laws they were having a visit from my 4 year old niece. She tends to suffer from "allergies." I put this in quotations because apparently this time it was a virus and not allergies as my in-laws have gotten sick and guess who else got sick? #1. So we had to go to the doctor yesterday for a $55 inhaler/aerochamber breathing device to help her lungs. You know what they don't tell you? They don't tell you that shit makes them not want to sleep and very jittery. So after day four of no nap yesterday I felt sure I could dose her up and have her in bed by 6:30 and dead to the world. No. Not even close. After many times of going in to check on her, then she kept telling us she wanted to "eat" so we fed her, put her back to bed and let her cry a bit which resulted in vomit all over the crib and #1. So sheet change, bath and pajamas we put her back to bed. She threw up again. She seems to be better this morning and finally fell asleep at 11 last night. Only for me to have to go back in at 3 am for a severe coughing fit which cons me into giving her the inhaler medicine again because I'm afraid her lungs will burst and she will die. And then I can't sleep for another hour and a half.

So as the Single Gal holds a knife to my throat to make me blog that is where I have been. It's just been one thing after another and lots of not sleeping between fun girls weekends and sick babies. This episode makes me want to kick modern medicine to the curb and just take my baby to a Chinese medicine man for healing. There's got to be a better way. Sigh. However, I would not leave the hospital without them either stitching or gluing my nose even though Turtle was fed up with the crazy wait time and one super bitchy nurse. It's my face though. If it was my arm I would have told him to put some gauze and tape on it and we'll figure it out later. I had such a good nose too. Now I'm afraid even though it's not broken it will never be the same.

Are y'all having any serious first world problems like myself lately? I hope not. I'm ready for my normal again.

No comments:

Post a Comment