Saturday, December 15, 2012

"Important Things to Remember"

Part of me doesn't even know what to write about after our nation had such a super sad Friday.  In light of a devastating tragedy I know a lot of people have a lot to say about things like gun control, politics, mental illness, etc.  but I think that it's most important to just think of those families that have experienced a terrible and awful loss rather than to pay so much attention to the individual that committed the act itself.  My heart worries a lot about the media inadvertently glorifying these people.

I saw this quote on Friday and I think it really sums up a lot for me. 

When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” To this day, especially in times of “disaster,” I remember my mother’s words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.
Mister Rogers, in his book The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember  


So today I am going to hug my loved ones and pray for others as I continue to get ready for Christmas.  


Love you. Mean it. 
~the single gal~

No comments:

Post a Comment