Sunday, January 27, 2013

In the Kitchen with The Single Gal {mexican fiesta + cornbread}


It's been a bit of struggle to get my mind around posts that aren't random as hell these past two weeks.  But really, this post is brought to you as someone who has worked 13 of the last 14 days {and by the end of this week I will have worked 18 out of the last 19 days!} and let me tell you -- it has been hard to fit in all my other normal activities, appointments, etc. I hope that I will feel a lot better about all of this once I get my paycheck Friday!

I really wanted a home cooked meal and a night at home after a dinner out Friday night but after my other cooking failures the last two weeks {those obvs didn't make it on the blog} I really needed a new recipe that had like zero chances of coming out badly.  Random -- I get really emotional about cooking.  I put so much into and I get so sad if it doesn't turn out right.  So I googled some enchilada recipe and decided to jazz it up.  The original recipe was from the Kraft website or something on All Recipes.  Since I made some necessary additions, I felt it only appropriate that I changed the name of dish. 

{single gal enchiladas}

1 cup low fat sour cream 

1 cup tomatillo salsa

1 small onion, chopped

2 cloves of garlic, minced

2 tsp of oil

3 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts

1 (4 oz) can of green chiles, drained

1 can black beans, drained

1  1/2 cups mexican style shredded cheese

8 (6 inch) flour tortillas

1 avocado, chopped


{Directions}

1. heat oven to 350 degrees F

2. mix sour cream and salsa until well blended.  

3. cook and stir onions and garlic in hot oil in large skillet on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.  Stir in chicken, 1 cup of sour cream mixture, chiles, black beans, and 1/2 cup of cheese. 

4. spoon about 1/3 cup of chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla.  Roll up.  Place, seam side down in 13x9 inch backing dish sprayed with cooking spray.  Top with remaining sour cream mixture and cheese.  Cover. 

5.  Bake 15-20 minutes or until heated through. 

6. Top with chopped avocado and serve! 


A few things -- I love cornbread and I thought that I would make it tex-mex and have some with dinner.  But really I just wanted cornbread.  You don't have to make that part.   These were SO easy {mainly because I bought a rotisserie chicken rather than even cooking one} and SO good.   The least y'all could do is humor me and make them.  And also tell me how great you think they are, too.  Oh, and if I weren't so busy I would have taken a picture...but it didn't even enter my mind that night.  

Love you. Mean it. 
~the single gal~

No comments:

Post a Comment