Saturday, January 4, 2014

Green Smoothies {a cautionary tale}


It's official -- attending two yoga classes has warped my brain.  I actually made a kale smoothie today.  I'm not really feeling super namaste about my health as I have blazed into 2014 eating pizza, cornbread, cheese, and have also been drinking all the wine.  But I never got around to making my kale salads (which I do really like) and we were inching farther from the "best by" date on the bag by the minute.

I made some kale chips.  Those sucked.  It's not likely I'll ever try again.  I'm not sure what the craze over them is. But I was already messing around in the kitchen feeling sad about wasting the rest of said kale and I randomly grabbed my rarely-used blender out of the cabinet.  I was pretty impressed with myself -- a few cups of kale, some almond  milk, greek yogurt, and one really old frozen banana from the fridge made a decent juice for my lunch!

I actually was just really pleased with this venture because the green smoothie is a metaphor.  Being healthy isn't complicated.  It doesn't take a lot of time.  Making that random smoothie took me like 3 minutes and I had all the things I used already on hand at the house.  We don't have to make Ina masterpieces here.   And while a 24/7 health goal is nice -- we don't have to do it all the time.  Sure I made a smoothie today while I had some free time.  But I'll still lug my lean cuisines to work for lunch most days.  Hooray preservatives!



Also -- being healthy doesn't make us any better than anyone else.  I was feeling super self-righteous pouring out my second glass from the blender pitcher I put in the fridge when the the whole top came off and green smoothie went everywhere. Like all over the walls, my shoes, and under the fridge.  ALL ON MY FRESHLY MOPPED HARDWOOD FLOORS PEOPLE! So pour carefully -- and make sure you do it over the sink!


~the single gal~

No comments:

Post a Comment