Thursday, January 30, 2014

Snowmageddon

Before I get into the disaster that was Tuesday, I will explain the disaster of 2011. I left work at 4pm, made it up the interstates and picked up #1 from daycare. Ironically, Single Gal and I had plans to meet up. Once I left the day care, I thought my brakes were acting up. Then I went down a two lane road and can't believe I didn't spin completely out (twice) or hit the cars next to me. I had a newborn. I had no idea the weather was supposed to get bad. Long story short, I sat in traffic for 3 hours to go 6 miles to Single Gal's. There was no way I would make it all the way home. Luckily, I had diapers there and was nursing. 

Hadley was sick and I woke up Tuesday knowing I had to get her to the doctor before the weather hit.  Turtle stayed home and I took her and got her meds filled on the way home with plans to stay home. I sent Turtle to work with clothes and plans to stay at the hotel by his office. He can see the interstate from his office and we knew by 1pm he should not attempt to come home. Now, it's different because he knew we were all safe at home. He was not trying to get a child from school. 

I sent Single Gal messages and begged her to go to E's. She was able to, thanks to 3 Putt who just happened to be at her place with the pups. It wasn't just the interstates that were slammed. It took some people 10 hours on local streets. 

Yes, I have cabin fever. I understand if some people get mad if school is cancelled and the roads do not get bad because they have to stay home from work. I think all metro schools should have been cancelled the night before. It would have helped. This storm hit quickly in the middle of the day. In 2011, it started getting bad at 5pm. My mom couldn't make it home but thankfully, was half a mile from a hospital. Thankfully, Facebook saved many people because a woman started a Group page to centralize information to help people. Thankfully, some businesses opened up and sheltered people. 

I still think more people are out on the roads than necessary today. #1 is refusing to nap as usual, so I'm sure Despicable Me is in my future.  I really thought I was going to have to park my car and walk in 2011. I know the panic people were feeling, especially with small children. 

Hopefully back to your regularly scheduled programming next week. Little A is coming to town so it's a girls weekend for us! 

The Housewife 
Pardon any typos....iPad post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment