Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Interview Recap

Interviews are hard.  While they usually ask a lot of the same questions no one interview is ever the same.  Therefore we enter my favorite thing -- expecting the unexpected.  I actually didn't have to interview for my last two claims jobs because hey, I'm truly that awesome so  I really hadn't done this in a while.  Not to mention these two interviews were really a big sales pitch about  how I can transition into another career that I may not have as much direct experience in as someone else.  So there is extra stress.  I have to say, I did feel pretty prepared.  I wrote out answers prior to going to a number of questions they may ask and even though they didn't ask many of them I still am glad I did it.  I do feel like I talked too much.  I tried so hard to cut myself off but I can't do it when I am nervous I have some disease where I feel the need to fill the space. 

Interview One 

This one was definitely the hardest of the two.  I met with 5 different people  and it lasted about 4 hours.  Tough.  Also it didn't start until 1 p.m. so I had plenty of time to get freaked out before I even got there.  Needless to say I really was pretty exhausted afterwards.  Again, really had to sell myself and also answer some of the same questions over and over again.  I really worry that I wasn't specific and that I was so nervous my hands were clammy when met with each person.  This job is a toss up.  It would be an incredible opportunity but also a pretty stressful transition for me in that I would have to learn a ton probably my first 20 months there.  The one good thing was that I had previously worked in the same office with the first person I met with so she was fun to talk to and was able to get me into the grove for the rest of them.  If you need good sample questions just Google a bunch of articles on Forbes.  I found them super helpful. 

Outfit: Black tweed blazer from Forever 21, red JCrew blouse and black pencil skirt.  I wasn't thrilled about it. I felt like I was trying to go out for UGA Homecoming. 

Interview Two 

This interview was more fun.  I felt a good fit and really liked the people I met. Not to say the Thursday peeps were bad but this just felt more natural and the position was an easier sell. Also, I loved their big beautiful building in Buckhead.  I was a little taken aback because the VP I met with was fairly young, really nice, and really tall.  OK and maybe nice looking.  I already feel like I struggle a lot with eye contact in interviews.  When can I look away? I want to appear very interested and connected...but I worry that I just come off as SUPER CREEPY GIRL THAT STARES and feel this especially happened with the nice looking VP guy.  I met two other people -- I thought they were super.  I want to feel really hopeful about this one.  I thought it went really well other than the fact that I realized halfway through I was perspiring like whoa.  

The Outfit: On Fridays we wear pink.  Bright pink sleeveless shell, black tweed blazer, black pencil skirt.  I loved it.  It made me happy. 

After this last one I decompressed at yoga and came straight home to get through those awkward thank you notes.  Really loved that the people from interview #2 actually took the time to write a quick note back! 

So, hopefully in the next two weeks I'll be posting some gif of Sally Field's, "You like me, you really like me" Oscar speech and drinking all the wine and doing dances around the house with a job offer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment